UX / UI Designer (Contract)
Advertising End Date:
We are: News UK is a company full of talented, dedicated and creative people. We are an ambitious and ever-growing organisation with a passion for storytelling, capturing moments, meaning and magic to make sense of the world. Our newspapers reach more than 30 million people each week and include The Sun, The Times and The Sunday Times. News UK is also home to Wireless, a leading UK and Irish media company boasting independent local and national radio stations including talkSPORT, VirginRadio, talkRADIO and Times Radio.
We are Technology: a department that has people and product at its heart. Lead by Christina Scott CTO of the Year (Tech Leaders) 2017, who comes with many years experience transforming technology in media companies. Christina has set out our vision of ‘passionate and trusted experts creating industry-leading solutions through attracting and developing the best talent’.
Your team: Content Platforms. Content Platforms provides the multiple Editorial teams in NUK with the tools & services that they need to inform and entertain the world. Our mission is to simplify and transform the digital tools and content systems in our newsrooms to enable content creators to focus on what they do best: producing quality content with creativity and innovation. We are a diverse team currently spread between London, Sofia and Bangalore.
Why are we hiring? News UK has multiple newsrooms and teams producing and managing large volumes of quality content. The tools and services that are currently used have largely grown up organically over time and this has led to inefficient workflows and multiple tools largely doing the same tasks.
By bringing all of our newsroom digital tools and content systems together under one team we can begin to simplify the numbers of tools that we have and focus on providing the right tools and workflows to pursue our digital ambitions.
This strategy of simplification and transformation to create tools that allow our content creators to focus on creativity and creation rather than content management is aligned to the overall News Corp strategy.
Your role: To gain an intimate understanding of our newsrooms, how they work and their user needs. To identify pain points and where time is lost struggling with tools and/or processes instead of producing quality content. To spot where users must find alternative ways to get their job done because the content platforms systems fall short of meeting their needs. To spot where we could solve a common problem and where there are opportunities to share / re-use across multiple Newsrooms.
To work with Product & Engineering to research if others have solved the problem and how we could do the same or improve upon it. To maintain a focus on delivering value quickly and iteratively by finding solutions that answer ‘what’s the simplest thing we could do to make it better / faster / easier?’ To strive towards a consistent user experience across newsrooms & tools where it brings value.
Ultimately, to work as a teammate in Content Platforms and a Partner to our Editorial teams to create a Digital Content Platform that’s so good, Editorial and Technology teams prefer to use it.
What we’re looking for from you:
● Experience working in an agile environment
● Experience practising product design in an iterative manner (not all up front)
● Confident visual thinker, with portfolio showing UI design work including typography and styling.
● Experience working with analytics to define and measure success.
● Experience inheriting and interpreting research to aide design.
● Comfortable designing and carrying out user and usability testing.
● Experience documenting workflows and system level diagrams.
● Advanced prototyping skills; Proficient at using Sketch and Invision.
● Strong ideation skills and the ability to form these into a solid validated concepts
● Experience working with senior level stakeholders
● Strong understanding of user needs and business needs
● Research experience of multiple methodologies
● Strong presentation skills; story-telling with every project with documentation where necessary
● Ability to communicate and articulate design decisions to the team and stakeholders
● Ability to manage time well and respond to time constraints accordingly
● Relationship building and stakeholder management
Nice to have:
● Experience working with content management or publishing workflows and services
● Designing publishing and/or back-office tooling
● Prior experience using and/or creating visual design systems
We are a diverse team and strive to maximise and encourage every individual’s potential. We want to create a productive environment where everyone feels valued, and where talents are fully recognised, utilised and celebrated.
News UK is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to providing equal opportunities for all its employees and applicants. We oppose all forms of discrimination in the workplace.
We thrive when we champion diversity and inclusion. We make better decisions, we’re stronger and happier, and it’s the right thing to do.